How Often Should I Get My Air Filters Changed in Houston?
Changing your air filters is probably one of the last things you think about when it comes to your home’s maintenance. However, it is a very important task to do. Your HVAC air filters reduce the amounts of dust, pet dander, mold spores, and so much more that floats around in the air you and your family breathe in on a daily basis. Along with improving your indoor air quality, air filters help your whole HVAC system run efficiently and effectively.
If you have clogged air filters, it can reduce the airflow in your home which then forces your system to work harder to make your home the proper temperature you set it to. This will cause higher utility bills and can make your system malfunction or fail completely. So to keep this from happening, how often should you get your air filters changed in Houston? Here are a few tips to think about.
Determining When to Change Your Air Filters
When you’re trying to decide when to change your air filters, the easy answer is if your filter is dirty, change it; no matter how long ago it was changed. The amount of time it takes for your air filter to get dirty depends on the specifics of your home and HVAC system. Here are some guidelines to help narrow down specific to your home:
- What kind of filter does your HVAC system require? If your system uses the 1-3” thick air filters, most manufacturers suggest changing the filters at least every 60 days. These air filters are common and can be found in most hardware stores.
- Does anyone in your home suffer from allergies? If you answered yes, you’ll want to change your air filters more regularly than 60 days. You’ll want to change it every 30 to 45 days because a clogged air filter can actually start spreading allergens instead of collecting them.
- Do you have pets? If you have a furry friend, your air filter is catching pet dander and animal hair which can cause your filter to clog up quicker. Homes with pets, or multiple pets, should change filters every 30 to 45 days.
- What is the outdoor air quality? If you live in a highly polluted area or you live near some construction that is kicking up dust and debris, you need to change your filters frequently.
- How often do you use your air conditioner/heater? Your air filter only cleans your air when your HVAC system is running. If you don’t use your system all that often and it sits dormant for long periods of time, your air filters can last longer before they need to be changed.
It’s important to remember to change your air filters to keep you and your family healthy.
Professional Air Filter Maintenance
Sometimes remembering to change your air filter yourself can be difficult. You have a lot of other stuff going on that it can slip your memory, but in this Houston heat, you’re probably running your system a lot and need to change your filters frequently. Don’t let your family breathe in allergens. Call Kingwood Air Repair today at 281-441-4500 to schedule regular air filter maintenance and let us remember for you.